ORDER BY case insensitive?

From: "Bob Swerdlow" <swerdlow(at)maine(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ORDER BY case insensitive?
Date: 2001-10-03 14:06:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

How do I get the rows sorted in a case insensitive way?

I have some queries that basically fit the form:
SELECT * FROM MyTable ORDER BY Name;
When I view the results, all of the Name's that start with an upper case
letter precede all of the Name's that start with a lower case letter. I
want them all in alphabetic order, regardless of case.

I've looked in PostgreSQL Introduction and Concepts by Bruce Momjian and in
the FAQ at http://postgresql.overtone.org/docs/faq-english.html

Thanks for your help.

--
Bob Swerdlow