select where expr in - result order?

From: "Andy Kriger" <akriger(at)greaterthanone(dot)com>
To: "Pgsql-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: select where expr in - result order?
Date: 2002-11-19 22:36:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there any way to guarantee that the when using
SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE expr IN (scalar[,...])
the results are returned in the same order as the scalar list?

I realize I can do this by sorting the scalar list and using ORDER BY expr,
but I'd like to not count on a sorted list of scalars if at all possible.

thx
andy