Re: Problems with initdb on Cygwin

From: "Javier Vilarroig" <Javier(dot)Vilarroig(at)marconi(dot)com>
To: "Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer" <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with initdb on Cygwin
Date: 2002-01-28 10:03:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Yeah... It works.....

Thank you very much for your help!

Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>@postgresql.org on
26/01/2002 15.49.42

Sent by: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org

To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
cc:

Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems with initdb on Cygwin

At 12:55 25.01.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de> writes:
> > Actually, it's always the same address where the program
> > stops; running the above steps severaly times seems to confirm this
> > (which might indicate that the address is of use for you?!).
>
>The address is unhelpful, but a backtrace (try typing "bt") might be
>very interesting indeed.
>
> regards, tom lane

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Just my 2ct - but could it be you did not start ipc-daemon? It's not in the
standard
cygwin distrib (one should bang the heads of these guys - to distribute a
program
and not even mentioning (e.g in the postinstall scripts) that you need to
get cygipc
from somewhere else!).

Just search for cygipc on the net - I use 1.11 (I think), and it works
fine. Without
ipc-daemon running in the bg, you get exactly the reported behaviour!

Greetings,
Joerg

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Do not copy this e-mail or any attachments, use the contents for any purpose, or disclose the contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.