Re: Secure pages

From: Timothy_Maguire(at)hartehanks(dot)com
To: Paul Joseph McGee <mcgee(at)student(dot)cs(dot)ucc(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Secure pages
Date: 2001-03-13 18:07:13
Lists: pgsql-php

if you are using apache web server you can try the .htaccess method. I am
not too familar with it. I am trying to learn it myself, but from what i
gather, you put a file called .htaccess in the dir where your web page is.
the .htaccess file contains a path to the a file where all the user names
and passwords are stored. whenever this dir is accessed, a window pops up
asking for a user id and password.

If anyone has more info on this, please pass it on. I am looking into
using this as well. What i am looking to do is create a web based ftp
application. Where users log into a web screen and can ftp files to the
server into a certain directory own by them. I am storing the file paths
and descriptions in a postgresql db and using php for the ftp process. Can
I use .htaccess with this? Can I have someone log into the web page using
.htaccess and passing their user id and password into a cookie or variable
so i will know who they are and they don't have to re-type this when they
ftp the file.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Tim.

Paul Joseph McGee <mcgee(at)student(dot)cs(dot)ucc(dot)ie>@postgresql.org on 03/13/2001
12:20:57 PM

Sent by: pgsql-php-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org