Re: Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability)

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: John Wells <jbwellsiv(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability)
Date: 2004-10-22 14:21:10
Lists: pgsql-general

I've worked with Oracle, Interbase, and Informix. PostgreSQL is the most
SQL spec compliant of any of them, whether the spec is 89, 92, or 03. I
have not worked with MySQL.

Rick

Robert Treat
<xzilla(at)users(dot)sourcefor To: John Wells <jbwellsiv(at)gmail(dot)com>
ge.net> cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent by: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability)
pgsql-general-owner(at)pos
tgresql.org

10/21/2004 03:56 PM

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 15:40, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> My boss has been keeping himself busy reading MySQL marketing pubs,
> and came at me with a few questions this morning regarding PostgreSQL
> features (we're currently moving to PostgreSQL).

I'd be interested to see what my$ql has to say about SQL:2003
compliance...

> While I don't think either are really that important for our
> situation, he wanted to know specifically whether PostgreSQL supported
> SQL:2003,

Well, certainly it is not in full compliance, but then who is? I would
say that most of the new features in SQL:2003 are not supported yet,
however if you run into a specific one that you could actually use post
to the list and you'll likely get a good work-around.

and what sort of capabilities PostgreSQL has to scale across
> multiple CPUs and hosts (multithreading, load balancing, etc).

Well, PostgreSQL can certainly take advantage of multiple CPU's,
although there are some cases where we could do more (use multiple CPU
on one query). You can also use a combination of tools like pgpool and
slony to set up load balancing depending on your needs... though I
should say that PostgreSQL has tremendous ability to scale up even
without getting into all the buzzword friendly schemes.

Robert Treat