Re: getting started with psql

From: Jayadevan M <Jayadevan(dot)Maymala(at)ibsplc(dot)com>
To: Eric Hulburd <ehulburd(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting started with psql
Date: 2011-09-06 03:09:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,
> I have little programming experience and I've been trying to go
> through the PostgreSQL 9.0.4 documentation tutorial. I got to
> section about creating a new database and was lost.
>
> On opening psql, get the following prompts:
> Server [localhost]:
> Database [postgres]:
> Port [5432]:
> Username [postgres]:
> Password for user username:
>
> I have no idea what I should be entering here. I'm not trying to
> connect to any other server. I'm just trying to create a database
> for others to connect to. What do I enter for Port? I don't
> remember signing up for any username. Where do I find my username?
You can always connect to a server and then use the create database
command to create a database. If you are keen on not connecting to a
server, you could use createdb command from commandline
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/app-createdb.html

But first - have you initialized a db cluster and do you have a PostgreSQL
server running? You could find that by running
pg_ctl status

I get the following output..
-bash-3.00$ pg_ctl status
pg_ctl: server is running (PID: 2407)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres

Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."