Re: Oracle and Postgresql

From: SCassidy(at)overlandstorage(dot)com
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-03 15:36:51
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

I don't know if Oracle changed recently, but the last few times I used it,
it was incredibly annoying having to put everything in a subquery to get a
LIMIT-type operation to work AFTER the sort, so that you could use their
ROWNUM. For example, to get the first 50 rows of a SELECT result. Their
ROWNUM worked BEFORE the ORDER BY, so to get the 1st 50 rows, you had to
put the query in a subselect, and say SELECT ... where ROWNUM <= 50.

I love OFFSET ... LIMIT in PostgreSQL! I do a lot of web applications,
and it is incredibly handy to page output with.

Susan

Tiered Data Protection Made Simple
http://www.overlandstorage.com/