Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE

From: SCassidy(at)overlandstorage(dot)com
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Subject: Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE
Date: 2006-05-19 15:43:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Regarding Oracle's ROWNUM - since they have to use that instead of OFFSET
and LIMIT, that isn't much of an argument for the Oracle way. When
converting queries into Oracle SQL, I always _really_ miss OFFSET and
LIMIT. They are much easier to use than ROWNUM, especially with ORDER BY.

I think that more databases support OFFSET and LIMIT than ROWNUM (the
Oracle way).

Personally, I have never wanted a DELETE or UPDATE with LIMIT. The one
time I did something similar in Oracle, I used partitions, and just dropped
or truncated the partition containing the old data.

Susan

Csaba Nagy
<nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> To: Postgres general mailing list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent by: cc:
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE

pgsql-general-owner(at)pos |-------------------|
tgresql.org | [ ] Expand Groups |
|-------------------|

05/19/2006 07:22
AM

Well, first of all, you're not competing here with MySQL in this case, but
with Oracle. Our application does this using Oracle's ROWNUM trick and it
works perfectly fine. Now I guess you think Oracle's ROWNUM is also stupid
in this case, but it certainly helps us writing cleaner SQL, and a missing
postgres alternative which is easy to use won't help you in attracting
Oracle users.

Cheers,
Csaba.

Simply protected storage solutions ensure that your information is
automatically safe, readily available and always there, visit us at http://www.overlandstorage.com