Re: Performance issues of one vs. two split tables.

From: SCassidy(at)overlandstorage(dot)com
To: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance issues of one vs. two split tables.
Date: 2007-05-15 18:16:19
Lists: pgsql-general

One other possible reason for splitting the table up in two chunks is to
grant different rights on the 2 sets of columns.

Susan Cassidy

Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org>
Sent by: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
05/15/2007 09:44 AM

Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
cc

Subject
Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues of one vs. two split tables.

Sorry, I don't mean to drag this thread out much longer. But, I have
one more question regarding joins.

Say I have a customer table and an order table. I want a list of all
order id's for a given customer.

SELECT o.id
FROM order o
JOIN customer c on o.customer = c.id

Does that bring into memory all columns from both order and customer?
Maybe that's not a good example due to indexes.

See, I've seen this splitting of one-to-one tables a number of time
(such as the user and user_preferences example) and I'm not sure if
that's just poor schema design, premature optimization, or someone
making smart use of their knowledge of the internal workings of
Postgresql....

--
Bill Moseley
moseley(at)hank(dot)org