Re: best arrangement of 3 disks for (insert) performance - Dell

From: "Thom Dyson" <TDyson(at)sybex(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best arrangement of 3 disks for (insert) performance - Dell
Date: 2003-09-12 17:03:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

The Dell PERC controllers have a very strong reputation for terrible
performance. If you search the archives of the Dell Linux Power Edge list
(dell.com/linux), you will find many, many people who get better
performance from software RAID, rather than the hw RAID on the PERC.
Having said that, the 3/SC might be one of the better PERC controllers. I
would spend and hour or two and benchmark hw vs. sw before I committed to
either one.

Thom Dyson
Director of Information Services
Sybex, Inc.