Long term read-only records?

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Long term read-only records?
Date: 2003-03-26 16:34:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there a way to make a record read-only for months or years? My intent is
that after a cutoff (a program can run making rows r/o) existing records can
no longer be modified without unlocking first. User security is
insufficient, since that only applies to tables. I'd rather not have to
maintain a R/O flag (or date) in code, because it relies on correct,
voluntary implementation every time. I'd like something more enforceable
then that, and that has me looking to the DBMS

Thank you for your time.