Re: handling 20,000 connection?

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "Reynard Hilman" <reynardmh(at)lightsky(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: handling 20,000 connection?
Date: 2002-10-31 15:06:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Reynard-

I can't be of much help in answering the upper limit question, but I wonder
if that is really the right question.

Do you really expect all 20,000 users to be accessing the database at the
same time, or is it more like 20,000 users in the application at one time.
Usually, such a situation is handled by connection pooling so that although
many users are connected to the application, they only get allocated a db
connection as needed. The ratio will vary by application, but in our case,
we can typically support at least 20 active users per connection using
pooling.

-Nick