Re: Encoding passwords

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "Mike Arace" <mikearace(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encoding passwords
Date: 2001-09-25 17:58:56
Lists: pgsql-general

> Is there a function out there for pg which allows you to generate
> a random
> number given a seed value? I'm trying to create a users table
> which would

There is the following:

"select setseed(<new seed value>);"

This sets the seed for the random() function.

However, the approach we use is more like the suggestion from Bruno Wolf
that you received earlier- In our case we use JDBC to pass data between our
application & the database, so we use the java crypt package to encrypt
everything we get before it gets stored or compared to a stored value & then
just compare the hash. I think his suggestion is the best way *if* your
development environment supports something similar.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

Business:
nickf(at)doxpop(dot)com Phone 1.765.965.7363 Fax 1.765.962.9788
doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/

Personal:
nick(at)fankhausers(dot)com http://www.fankhausers.com