Auto-indexing

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Auto-indexing
Date: 2001-02-07 02:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is it a feasible idea that PostgreSQL could detect when an index would be
handy, and create it itself, or at least log that a table is being queried
but the indices are not appropriate?

I suggest this as it's a feature of most windows databases, and MySQL does
it. I think it would be a great timesaver as we have hundreds of different
queries, and it's a real pain to have to EXPLAIN them all, etc. Is that
possible? Feasible?

Chris

--
Christopher Kings-Lynne