A question on performance

From: "Ron Harter" <resume(at)ealanta(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A question on performance
Date: 2002-09-13 03:33:01
Lists: pgsql-general

We are looking at the possibility of using postgresql as the DBMS for a web
based interface to our SCADA system. The design calls for snapping the real
time data base into postgresql which will then be accessed by a browser
based application to display the data on graphical displays.

The question we have is how fast is postgresql? based on current system
per second.
The data will sent to a server application on a different platform from what
the SCADA system is running. The record size for each transaction will be
somewhere around 25 bytes. We may be sending 1 ... N records per update
depending on the system loading. Is there an optimum number? I don't expect
N to 50 to 60 records.
We will try and determine an optimum buffer size to send to keep the queue
from backing up on the SCADA side.

Will postgresql be able to handle that many updates per second an a
sustained basis (24/7)?

Ron Harter
Ealanta Software LLC
rdh(at)ealanta(dot)com