Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.

From: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.
Date: 2003-12-21 23:49:49
Lists: pgsql-general

spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net says...

> > What then is a derived table, or is a derived table just a synonym for
> > inline view?

> I'm not sure what the "official" name for this is. I have heard both. So
> from my point of view a derived table and an inline view are the same.

OK - I'm fine with the idea that there can be more than one name for the
same thing, and that different geographies and/or cultures can mean that
people use synonyms.

I've recently started looking at Oracle as well - boy oh boy, you'd want
to know your FTLA's with that system!

> > What's wrong with SELECT COUNT(col1) FROM table?

> Nothing. But my statement was just an example to show the syntax.

> But sometimes when things get more complicated it *is* very handy, and I
> have used it now and then, and wouldn't want to miss it :-)

OK, fine. Can you show me an example of where your construct (inline
view and/or derived table) behaves differently from and is better than
the syntax that I used?

Paul...

--

plinehan x__AT__x yahoo x__DOT__x com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.