Problem with stopping postmaster with pg_ctl

From: "John Pagakis" <john(at)pagakis(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com>
Subject: Problem with stopping postmaster with pg_ctl
Date: 2003-09-16 20:20:51
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I'm trying to get Postgres working under Cygwin. The good news is, it
mostly is. The bad news is, I can't shut it down with pg_ctl.

I loaded the full Cygwin installation on my Win2K Pro machine, and later on
my XP Pro box. Both behave the same way.

When I run pg_ctl stop, it motors for the duration of the wait period and
then says the postmaster does not shut down.

Upon further review ......

It looks like pg_ctl looks through the process list for the Postgres process
and then tries to kill it. You can specify the shutdown as smart (which
translates to kill -TERM), fast (kill -INT) or immediate (kill -QUIT).

When the script hits the kill, I get Usage info on the screen!! So, the
interpreter is not seeing this as a valid command line string for kill. I
have echoed the command being generated out and it looks fine. I can take
that same command and execute it: it shuts Postgres down.

Why would the interpreter rejecting the command line for kill when it
appears to be well formed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Pagakis
Email: john(at)pagakis(dot)com

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would
not let our enemies have guns, why should we
let them have ideas?"
-- Josef Stalin

This signature generated by
... and I Quote!!(tm) Copyright (c) 1999 SpaZmodic Frog Software, Inc.
www.spazmodicfrog.com