Re: JAVA vs PERL : PERL wins to postgreSQL

From: "Robert J(dot) Sanford, Jr(dot)" <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JAVA vs PERL : PERL wins to postgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-03 20:06:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

i have several questions about the benchmark run that all come
down to one basic question - was the benchmark fair?

1) were you trying to test the performance of the languages or
were you trying to test the performance of the drivers? if
you are trying to test _languages_ then what you should do
is to use a common driver. if you are coding on a windoze
platform you can set up the odbc driver and have both perl
and java connect to the db through the same driver. i don't
know how 'fair' that test is though because java will still
have the overhead of jdbc:odbc bridge.

2) assuming that you are trying to test differences in drivers,
what did the tests consist of? were the insertions done in
the context of a transaction or outside of one? a test that
i ran that inserted 250+ records in one table and then 4500
in another test through perl and odbc ran at about 1:25 out
of a transaction and 0:30 inside of a transaction. there's
a big difference.

3) did both of the drivers used have the same settings? did
you make sure that the autocommit states were identical?

4) did you take into account ONLY the amount of time needed to
insert the data or were the times listed for assembling,
inserting, and reporting results?

5) did you do a "warm up" session so that the code was in the
same state as if it had been running on the server or were
both run from cold starts? would that make a difference in
terms of loading up all the drivers, etc.?

6) did the benchmark only use one connection for the entire
test or were multiple connections used? if multiple, did
you optimize your code like you would for a production
setting where you would be using connection pooling?

rjsjr