result sets from functions...

From: "Robert J(dot) Sanford, Jr(dot)" <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: result sets from functions...
Date: 2001-08-15 03:07:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

i'm reading the postgres documentation and i'm specifically
interested in creating stored procedures so that i can keep
as much of the business logic in the database as possible.
while reading 13.1.3 (SQL Functions on Composite Types) in
the Programmer's Guide i come across the phrase...
"When calling a function that returns a row, we cannot
retrieve the entire row. We must either project an
attribute out of the row or pass the entire row into
another function.
SELECT name(new_emp()) AS nobody;"

how does this affect calling functions as stored procedures
from the jdbc driver and getting a result set returned bac?
am i allowed to use Connection.PrepareCall() to create a
CallableStatement against a postgres function and receive a
ResultSet that can be iterated over?

thanks!

rjsjr