shutdown postgres problem

From: frank_lupo <frank_lupo(at)email(dot)it>
To: pgsql-cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: shutdown postgres problem
Date: 2003-02-07 10:10:05
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I work in Win NT 4.0 using the following version:
PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on i686-pc-cygwin, compiled by GCC 2.95.3-5

Every night, I need to shut down Postgres, using the command line
net stop postmaster

Later, the database is starting again, using the command line
net start postmaster

If some user is still connected to the database, the shut down process fails
and I find some processes "postgres.exe" still active in the server.
In order to solve the problem and make the database again starting, I kill all the "postgres.exe" processes
kill process #process number ("postgres.exe")
kill process #process number ("postgres.exe")
rm $PGDATA/postmaster.pid

then
net start postmaster

Looking at the log file, I see the following messages
DEBUG: pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: Connection reset by peer
DEBUG: fast shutdown request
DEBUG: aborting any active t
ransacti
ns
FATAL 1: This connection has been terminated by the administrator.
FATAL 1: This connection has been terminated by the administrator.
DEBUG: ReceiveSharedInvalidMessages: cache state reset
FATAL 1: The database system is shutting down
DEBUG: database system was interrupted at 2003-02-06 19:52:23 WEST
DEBUG: checkpoint record is at 7/EBB80A30
DEBUG: redo record is at 7/EBB80A30; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
DEBUG: next transaction id: 1621877; next oid: 43682810
DEBUG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
DEBUG: redo starts at 7/EBB80A70
DEBUG: ReadRecord: record with zero length at 7/EBB98230
DEBUG: redo done at 7/EBB98208
DEBUG: database system is ready

Sometimes, the shut down process runs correctly even with some users connected.

Do you have any idea on the way to solve this problem ?

Bye !!

Frank Lu
o (Wolf) !!

/\_ _/\
\ o o /
--ooo-----ooo---

--
Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Cerchi un idraulico, un elettricista , un imbianchino, una baby sitter?
su QXservice trovi la soluzione ai mille imprevisti della tua casa, con un
click!
Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=534&d=7-2