index skipped in favor of seq scan.

From: ryan(dot)a(dot)roemmich(at)mail(dot)sprint(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: index skipped in favor of seq scan.
Date: 2001-07-09 20:16:34
Lists: pgsql-general

I am working with putting syslog logs into a database, I'm parsing the
logs and using the key information for my fields. With my test data of
~200K rows the optimizer used my b-tree index that I created for an
oft-used where clause. When the table grew to over 800K rows the index
was no longer used. The field in question contains IP addresses, but
uses varchar. The values are _not_ unique. One particular address has
150K entries. How can I keep my where queries speedy?

-ryan