Re: pg_dump: Sorted output, referential integrity

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Christof Petig" <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>, "Philip Warner" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump: Sorted output, referential integrity
Date: 2001-12-10 02:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > but to manage the data in a version
> > >control system you need it consistently sorted. So a flag to sort by
> > >either primary key or left to right would be of great value. (--sorted
> > >?)
> >
> > Not really very generalizable when you consider user defined types,
> > triggers etc.
>
> Hmmm. But if we have a primary key on columns (A,B,C) and request the data
> 'order by A,B,C' this should be portable, shouldn't it?
> If we don't have a primary key simply ordering by 1,2,3,...n
> should also work.
> Or am I missing something?

I can see how ordering a dump by the primary key would be a neat way of
'clustering' your data after a restore, however I have qualms about the
scalability of such a scheme. What if someone has a 100GB table? They may
have arranged things so that they never get a sort from it or something, or
it might take ages. However I guess if it's an optional parameter it might
be neat.

My feeling is that it won't happen unless you actually code it into a patch
that makes it a parameter to pg_dump. Having an actual patch is a great way
of getting something you want done ;)

Alternatively, have you tried just writing a PERL script (or some clever sed
script) that will just sort the COPY FROM sections...?

Chris