Looking for help regarding getting the latest inserted sequence value.

From: "Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)" <prasanna(dot)b-m(at)hp(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)" <prasanna(dot)b-m(at)hp(dot)com>
Subject: Looking for help regarding getting the latest inserted sequence value.
Date: 2007-06-28 05:31:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,

We are looking for your help.The scenarion which we need to address
is,There are 2 threads and both of them are in separate transction and
insert the value to a same table and also sequence number field gets
incremented automotically for each of them.The problem we are facing
is,We will need to get back the appropriate id inserted for that
particualr record as it is used in some other places.

Right now we are doing it in 2 steps.inserting the record to table.And
getting the max(id) from the table.Now the problem is assume there is
another thread also does the insertion and commits that transction both
of the thread return the same id which is not desirable in our case.

It would be really very much helpful to know the form of a query which
inserts record and also returns the latest inserted ID for that record
in a single query.

Thanks,
Prasanna.