Re: unaccent extension missing some accents

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: J Smith <dark(dot)panda+lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unaccent extension missing some accents
Date: 2011-11-07 16:53:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov7, 2011, at 17:46 , J Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> If OS X's UTF8 locales weren't so thoroughly broken (eg sorting does not
>> work), I might be tempted to try to do it that way, but I still fail
>> to see the point. After reviewing the code I feel that unaccent needs
>> to be fixed because it's not consistent with the other tsearch config
>> file parsers, and not so much because it works or doesn't work on any
>> specific platform.
>
> Yeah, I never knew there was such a problem with OSX and UTF8 before
> running into it here but it's good to know.

Various issues with OSX and UTF-8 locales seems to come up quite often, yet
we're not really in a position to do anything about them.

Thus, I think we should warn about these issues and save people the trouble
of finding out about this the hard way. The only question is, what would be
a good place for such a warning?

best regards,
Florian Pflug