Right Join Question

From: "Bierbryer, Andrew" <abierbryer(at)klsdiversified(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Right Join Question
Date: 2009-10-22 18:43:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I am trying to solve the following problem. I have a certain column,
to_state, that can take a finite set of values. I want to make sure that
my query always returns those sets of finite values, even if not all of
the values are represented in the results. In essence, I am looking to
expand the result returned by the query by using a right join.

When I do the following simple query, this seems to work.

create table hat (the_hat integer);

insert into hat values (1),(2),(3);

create table cat (the_hat integer);

insert into cat values (2),(3),(4),(5);

select the_hat from hat

right join cat c using(the_hat)

The right join changes the results query from 1,2,3 to 2,3,4,5.

However, when I use this on my actual query, I don't get any additional
rows by adding the right join.

select to_state from deal_trans_info

right join (select distinct to_state from deal_trans_info where deal =
'02FF1') foo using(to_state)

where deal = '02FF1' and

pool_id = 'C2V' and

coll_type = 'ARM 228' and

from_state = 'CBNA' and

"month" = '20090701'

I can't send the actual data since it is too big, but it seems like this
is analogous to the simple query above.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew