Re: Common Table Expressions (WITH RECURSIVE) patch

From: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Common Table Expressions (WITH RECURSIVE) patch
Date: 2008-09-24 06:36:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

greg

On 24 Sep 2008, at 02:45, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The next big
> thing seems to be to figure out exactly how to do multiple references
> to CTE outputs, so that we can de-bogotify the planner.

I've looked and don't seem to still have the source tree where I
worked on this. I remember how I made the changes to tuplestore which
was mostly mechanical. The trick I think will be in adding a special
purpose executor method which passes the call site to the node below.
This depends on the observation that if we always memoize results then
each call site can only have one active call. That is, we don't need
to maintain a full stack tree.