Re: furiously yours

From: "Rony Khoury" <rkrk(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: furiously yours
Date: 2001-06-09 21:24:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello again,

If I understood right Postgresql depends on C language to do the sorting,
and C language depends on the settings of redhat for the sorting task.
Before going to RedHat with that I took the liberty to do the following test
and I would like to take your opinion about it first.

I installed a whole new redhat 7.1 version at home, with it came postgresql
7.0.3, I then downloaded the rpms for postgresql 7.1.1 from the internet and
upgraded to it. After doing all the proper installation procedure, I tried
the sorting on the new system and got the same results as at work.

Now I took the liberety to write a small program in C-language to see how
the sorting works and surprisingly enough I got the results desired that I
used to get on the old version. (ie the space is interpreted as < A).

Following is the code I wrote and the results I got. I belive this requires
your comment before going to redhat with that, I still think that there
might be some parameters missing somewhere to put things back in order.

Lamer I checked the parameters on my system and did not find LC_ALL nor
LC_COLL, but I found LANG=en_US. I do not know what these do, so your
guidance is appretiated in this respect if you think this is related to the
problem.

The C-Language program is:

main () {
char tparr[10][500];
char tpstring[500];
int i,j;

sprintf(tparr[0],"BOU ASSAF");
sprintf(tparr[1],"BOUHAIDAR");
sprintf(tparr[2],"BOU ZAHRA");

for(i=0;i<3;i++) {
for (j=0;j<3;j++) {
if (strcmp(tparr[i],tparr[j]) == -1) {
sprintf(tpstring,"%s",tparr[i]);
sprintf(tparr[i],"%s",tparr[j]);
sprintf(tparr[j],"%s",tpstring);
}
}
}

for (i=0;i<3;i++) {
printf("\n---%s",tparr[i]);
}
printf("\n");
}

and the result is

---BOU ASSAF
---BOU ZAHRA
---BOUHAIDAR

while the postgresql continues to interpret this info as

---BOU ASSAF
---BOUHAIDAR
---BOU ZAHRA

not that these results I'm getting on the same system and is all a new
system from scratch thus can not be dependant on any previous versions.

Thanks,
Rony.