Re: That was easy

From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>
To: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: That was easy
Date: 2008-10-02 14:46:29
Lists: pgsql-general

It's strange that you decided to make comparison to Oracle on this particular matter.
Oracle doesn't require during upgrades exporting all the data from the database and then importing - Oracle does upgrades "in-place", while with PG you can't upgrade without dump/restore. And this becomes a problem (in PG) with large databases.

I'm not trying to start enother "war" compairing one DBMS to another (I have experience with both).
But, trashing Oracle that I'm seeing here lately, looks at least naïve - each db has it's advantages/disadvantages, but let's try to be at least somewhat objective.

Igor Neyman