New 8.4 features

To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New 8.4 features
Date: 2009-04-20 14:41:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Some of the new language features in 8.4 seem like pretty major
additions. I know that the window functions will be very useful. There
have been many times in the past when I've wanted to aggregate in this
way:

http://elegantcode.com/2009/01/04/sql-window-clause/

If this is possible now it'll help massively in rapid prototyping - in
the past, reports involving aggregates have needed the most time to
develop.

Another interesting feature is recursive SQL.

I know 8.4 is only just in beta but it would be good to learn what is
(and isn't) possible. These seem like the sorts of things that would
get good writeups at varlena.com but I see there haven't been any new
posts there in a couple of years. My question is, is anyone planning
to blog / write focussing on these features?

Oliver Kohll
www.gtwm.co.uk - company
www.gtportalbase.com - product