Re: Detecting DB corruption

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: Raj Gandhi <raj01gandhi(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting DB corruption
Date: 2012-11-01 05:10:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Oct 31, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Seriously, if you're facing DB corruption then something is already
> horribly wrong with your setup.

True, but. In a past life, complaints from the db (it was a db that stored a checksum with every block) were the very first symptom when something went horribly wrong with the hardware. (Partial short between wires of an internal SCSI cable; eventually we determined that about every 1MB, 1 bit would get flipped between the controller & disk.)

So, if there were an official db verifier tool for PG, I for one would have it run periodically.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com