Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: barwick(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-24 00:53:03
Lists: pgsql-general
On Aug 23, 2004, at 5:22 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Locales for multibyte encodings are often broken on many platforms. I
> see identical things with Japanese on Red Hat. This is one of the
> reason why I tell Japanese PostgreSQL users not to enable locale while
> initdb...

Yep, and exporting my data, deleting the data directory, running initdb
with --locale=C fixd the problem for me. Woot!

But given what you've said, Tatsuo, it makes me wonder if it's worth it
to use the system locale default when running initdb? Maybe it'd make
more sense for PostgreSQL to default to C unless someone specifies
another --locale?

Thanks for the help, everyone,