What's the story with newsgroups?

From: "Paul Linehan" <paulflinehan(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What's the story with newsgroups?
Date: 2002-11-07 14:25:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi all,

I am a bit confused. I went to the Postgres site
and found the following

So, I subscribed and specified no mail and no
digests (for various reasons, I'm very fond of
the newsgroup format).

I pointed my newsreader at news.postgresql.org and
there were only two groups available that had
postgres in them (one was advocacy, and I forget the
other and there were two other bizarre groups which
didn't appear to have anything to do with postgres).

I expected to find pgsql-admin, pgsql-announce,
pgsql-bugs &c. &c. in the newsgroups section.

I appreciate that I can't post without signing up
to a list, but I couldn't even see the cygwin list
on the newsserver.

To cap it all (minor inconvenience, but irritating
nonetheless), I find that I'm receiving mails from
the cygwin list, when I specifically stated that I
didn't want mail (I'm using a Hotmail dummy account
to subscribe and those babies fill after 2 Megs...).

Have I done something wrong, or what's the
story with being able to see and post to the
Postgres newsgroups?

TIA.

Paul...

http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp