Re: Cryptic Error Message Importing Table Dump

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cryptic Error Message Importing Table Dump
Date: 2011-09-15 06:42:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On 15 Sep 2011, at 3:42, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Line 47475 is below the last line with content in the file. Line 47363
> contains:
>
> 96-A000890 SC 1996-04-23 Conductance, Specific 394
> uS/cm t \N \N \N
>
> (which is wrapped here, but not in the emacs buffer). There are 10 columns,
> which is how many there should be. When I go to the end of the line there's
> no space or other extraneous character. The column 'quant' contains the
> number 394. While that's an integer, the column domain is real and psql
> doesn't complain about other whole numbers in that column.
>
> Please help me understand what the error message and context are telling
> me because I just don't see it.

The text in the error is a tab character, so maybe you have an extra tab somewhere?

If not, perhaps the error is about the line after the one you showed us. If there isn't a terminator (\.) there, then reading the first 4 columns would probably succeed; they are type text from the looks of it, so ' ' (tab) is a valid character for those fields, but not for the real type column after those.

Alban Hertroys

--
The scale of a problem often equals the size of an ego.