RE: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?

From: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
To: Dan Gowin <DGowin(at)avantec(dot)net>, "'Thomas G(dot) Lockhart'" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "PGSQL HACKERS (E-mail)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?
Date: 1998-12-11 18:28:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Microsoft SQL Server v6.5 have SQL92 join syntax. I don't have the
standard in front of me but here's what I remember.

join_clause :
table_name|view_name|join_clause [alias ][LEFT |RIGHT |CROSS ] JOIN
table_name|view_name|join_clause [alias ]ON join_tatements

The allows for neat little tricks like (hope you can follow it):
SELECT a3.name, a3.address, a3.city, a4.state_abbrev, a6.postal_code,
a9.country_code
FROM (
(
(states_list a5
JOIN postal_codes a6 ON (a5.stateid = a6.stateid)
) a4
RIGHT JOIN
(clients a1
LEFT JOIN addresses a2 ON (a1.clientid = a2.clientid AND
a2.prefered = 1)
) a3 ON (a3.stateid = a4.stateid)
) a7
LEFT JOIN
countries a8 ON (a7.countryid = a8.countryid)
) a9

I'm not sure if Microsoft implemented it but I believe that subselects
would be a great addition the above.

I can load up a Microsoft SQL server for any testing you need done. I'm
pretty sure that the Help files have a run down of their supported
syntax but I never trust Microsoft to stick to a standard (even their
own).