Re: 7.2 items

From: "carl garland" <carlhgarland(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2 items
Date: 2001-05-13 05:25:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Here is a small list of big TODO items. I was wondering which ones
> > people were thinking about for 7.2?
>

>Other than that, I'm mostly thinking about performance improvements
>for 7.2, not features

My wish list includes incorporating the ideas brought forward in this
post
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/2000-09/msg00513.html
which discusses a patch that allows queries to return data from
the index scan directly. In the thread it was noted that this should
be optional in that their is a small storage overhead but preliminary
results were showing a potential 75X increase in performance. Oracle
has a similar index only table. A special index type that includes a
tid would be really nice and I think worth investigating.
Best Regards,
Carl Garland