Re: Performance and Clustering

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Jaime Rodriguez <jaime(dot)rodriguez(at)liberux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance and Clustering
Date: 2010-04-29 13:07:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29 Apr 2010, at 3:08, Jaime Rodriguez wrote:

> hi,
> Today is my first day looking at PostgreSQL
> I am looking to migrate a MS SQL DB to PostgreSQL :) :)
> My customer requires that DBMS shall support 4000 simultaneous requests
> Also the system to be deploy maybe a cluster, with 12 microprocessors
>
> From what I have read, PostgreSQL has really good performance and reliability but I would like to get some numbers, not sure if somewhere in the wiki some of this data is available.

Are you looking at PostgreSQL on Windows or on a UNIX or UNIX-based OS?

The reason I'm asking is that Postgres doesn't perform at its best on Windows and I seriously wonder whether the OS would be able to handle a load like that at all (can Windows handle 4000 open sockets for example?). Other database solutions on Windows will probably have similar issues, so this is not a reason to base your choice of database on - it is IMHO something that you should look into.

OTOH, changing both the database and the OS is a big change. For example, most UNIX-es by default use a case-sensitive file system, whereas Windows does not.
That said, for both you'll certainly have to make lots of changes in your application, so combining the two and do that only once may be preferable. If you're thinking of going that way I'd suggest FreeBSD or Solaris, but Linux is a popular choice (as is Windows, for that matter).

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4bd984be10411660912508!