Re: Building PG 8.2.3 for x86_64 on Mac OS X 10.4.9

From: Kevin Murphy <murphy2(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Building PG 8.2.3 for x86_64 on Mac OS X 10.4.9
Date: 2007-04-24 14:12:51
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Apr 19, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Kevin Murphy wrote:
>> Has anybody tried making a 64-bit PostgreSQL on an Apple XServe w/
>> Intel Woodcrest CPU's? My compile works, but the 'make check'
>> fails because of failure to allocate shared memory. There's
>> plenty of SYSV memory available.
>
> The call to shmget() is failing with ENOMEM. A standalone SYSV
> shared memory test program gives the same result when compiled with
> -arch x86_64.

OK, I finally found someone (Terry Lambert at Apple) to answer my
question. Here's the thread:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-kernel/2007/Apr/msg00021.html

Excerpt: "It's trying to allocate the memory in the lower 4G of the
process virtual address space, and unless you turn off the 4G page 0
mapping (or munamp() it after you're running but before you attempt
to allocate shared memory), it's not going to see any free address
space available."

Regards,
Kevin Murphy