Difficulties Connecting on localhost

From: "Lane Van Ingen" <lvaningen(at)esncc(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Difficulties Connecting on localhost
Date: 2006-03-02 16:02:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi, I am running Red Hat Linux, ES (Enterprise) 3.0. Just got done
successfully installing PostgreSQL v 8.1.2 yesterday.

I am trying to install pgAdmin3, version 1.2.0. The only one that I could
get to install was a 386 version for RedHat9. It appeared to install fine,
and is up and running, but I can't get it to connect to the database. The
error being given is an authentication error; but the authentication
information I am giving works fine when I use it to log into the psql
command line tool.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong here, and how to fix (please be very
specific) ?