Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)

From: "Lane Van Ingen" <lvaningen(at)esncc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 Install (using RPMs)
Date: 2006-08-25 18:26:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

The basic install of Red Hat (RHEL ES 4.0) for PostgreSQL version 8.1.4
appears to have gone well (database is up and running) except for one thing:
I can't login as postgres.

Assume the login would be 'postgres' or 'postgresql', but can't get in via
psql or pgAdmin3 to set up new users and database. I have looked through the
documentation, but don't see anywhere that tells what password I must use to
get in as the DBA.

Does anyone know what the initial user/password should be? Thanks.