Re: User Problem In PostgreSQL on Mac OS X

From: David C(dot)Oshel <dcoshel(at)inav(dot)net>
To: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User Problem In PostgreSQL on Mac OS X
Date: 2003-02-23 20:54:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

If you're using vanilla OS X, you probably have not enabled the root
user -- which is Mac OS X default behavior for a reason.

Rather than launching a giant project to find out how to enable root,
just use Terminal and enter "sudo su". You will get the usual sudoers
lecture (engrave it on your soul, even if you have only one user), and
you will find yourself staring at the root prompt. God help you.

This trick is slightly less omnipotent than actually logging in as
root, but the difference between disaster and catastrophe is not worth
mentioning.

Be sure to enter "exit" after you have accomplished the precisely exact
one single thing you needed to masquerade as root for.

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 02:39 PM, brew(at)theMode(dot)com wrote:

>> Now for the stupid part: I forgot the password for that user. I
>> installed it using FINK and everything went well as I recall. Do I
>> need to uninstall the software? If so, is there an easy way to do
>> this?
>
> OS X is Unix (or Unix-like), right? The classic way around this is
> sign
> on as root and then use passwd to change the password for user
> postgres.
>
> I've forgotten the postgres user password myself as have probably half
> the
> people on this list!
>
> brew

David C. Oshel mailto:dcoshel(at)inav(dot)net
Cedar Rapids, Iowa http://soli.inav.net/~dcoshel
``Raffiniert ist der Herrgot, aber boshaft ist er nicht." - A. Einstein