Re: pgAgent issues

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAgent issues
Date: 2005-06-20 07:18:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

OK - sounds reasonable. I wasn't overly happy with the previous location
of the node anyway precisely because of that.

> The current way to select a schedule seems misleading to me.
> I checked
> minute 02, minute 07, hour 02, hour 05 and effectively don't
> know what
> that really means.

It's the same as cron - it should run at 02:02, 02:07, 05:02 and 05:07,
every day of the week.

> I think we should reduce the scheduling a little:
> instead of two panels "Days" and "Times" only "Schedule", with a
> selection of yearly, monthly, weekly", daily and hourly (first stage)
> and a checklistbox/datepicker/timespin that changes accordingly.
> For example if I select daily I can check 02, 05 and 08 to
> have the job
> run three times a day. If sensible, a common minutes control might be
> added (might already be overkill).

Well we did discuss this at length on list before I implemented it, so
I'm not overly keen to change it now.

How does your design above cope with running twice on a Monday, and once
on a Tuesday? Or, the last day of every month?

> My initial design allowed a job's database to be NULL,
> indicating "every
> database in this cluster". Now it's restricted to NOT NULL,
> but '' still
> allowed which should indicate the same as previously NULL,
> does pgAgent
> work that way?

Nope. Your design as committed had no such functionality (except for
allowing NULL's in the db field) so I wasn't aware that you had such
functionality in mind. Feel free to add it if you like.

Regards, Dave.