pgAgent issues

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgAgent issues
Date: 2005-06-19 21:03:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Preparing my stuff for LinuxTag, I worked a little on pgAdmin's pgAgent
support. Apparently, we soon will have a common database (whether the
default connect db from initdb or not), agreed between admin developers,
so I moved the pgAgent objects under server, since it doesn't make sense
to have more than one agent installation per cluster. It will only show
up if the initialdb connection has the pgagent schema. Maybe we should
rename "initial database" to something reflecting its purpose better,
maybe "maintenance connection".

The current way to select a schedule seems misleading to me. I checked
minute 02, minute 07, hour 02, hour 05 and effectively don't know what
that really means. I think we should reduce the scheduling a little:
instead of two panels "Days" and "Times" only "Schedule", with a
selection of yearly, monthly, weekly", daily and hourly (first stage)
and a checklistbox/datepicker/timespin that changes accordingly.
For example if I select daily I can check 02, 05 and 08 to have the job
run three times a day. If sensible, a common minutes control might be
added (might already be overkill).

My initial design allowed a job's database to be NULL, indicating "every
database in this cluster". Now it's restricted to NOT NULL, but '' still
allowed which should indicate the same as previously NULL, does pgAgent
work that way?

Regards,
Andreas