Re: developer website integration

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: developer website integration
Date: 2005-03-14 08:57:05
Lists: pgsql-www

I don't see any real problem with it, but if you want to add a href=#,
that will probably make it easier.

> The link to the developer version of the docs points to
> developer.postgresql.org... can we get that generating
> alongside our regular
> docs on the main page?

I think that would be better left where it is. Aside from the mirroring
lag which will make it less useful, it will increase the mirroring load
significantly as files are rebuilt every few minutes.

Also, developer.postgresql.org itself will not be going anywhere - the
some of the developers have personal sites there. All we really need to
move is the mostly-static files and user interface.

> The TODO list is also still pointing to the developer.*
> page... can we get
> that generating on the main site someplace?

Yes - Magnus has recently committed code that properly integrates the
FAQs - perhaps that can be modified of used as a model to deal with the
todo.

> The "flowchart of the postgresql backend files", database
> internals pdf, and
> "postgresql implmentation files" will all need to be moved
> over to the main
> site... anyone have a preference for thier location other than under
> template/en/developer/ ?

Only properly formatted HTML files can go there. PDF's etc. should be
put under /files/, which is specifically for that sort of thing.

> What is the plan for the cvsweb install? Is that going to
> move to the main
> machine? Where should the links point?

No, that will stay where it is.

> Also, IIRC the
> interfaces cvsweb is
> obsolete now so that should be removed right?

Yup.

> Also IIRC the plan was to begin the move by replacing pages
> on the old
> developer page with links/redirects to the main website... is
> that correct?

I would update the links to point to an RIP page pointing to the main
site. If you use an auto-redirect to the new location, users will not
update their bookmarks.

> If so I can beging doing that now with some of the content
> that has already
> been moved over. LMK if there are any objections to this.

Nope.

Regards, Dave