Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-12-03 13:31:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

CVS doesn't have to mark the file internally. Consider what happens if
you try to check out a specific revision of a file - we can do that via
the web, eg:

http://cvs.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pgadmin3/src/ui/ar_SA/pgadmin
3.po?rev=1.20

Gets us rev 1.20.

In a similar was it shouldn't be difficult to query cvs for the latest
version number of a given file.

> Its not as easy as that...
> for pgadmin base package, I'd only inform about new packages.
> I wonder if we can do this even system specific, i.e. inform
> about deb packages on debian, ...

Even if it just opened a browser at the selected mirror it would be
helpful. Other than that, how do we determine the exact OS (ie. the
difference between redahat9 and suse8 for example)?

> For languages, a more complex selection for updating existing
> and adding new ones is necessary.

Yeah, though that shouldn't be a major problem as they're platform
independent.

Regards, Dave.