Re: Who admins DNS?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Who admins DNS?
Date: 2006-09-10 18:50:45
Lists: pgsql-www

If you're thinking of them providing secondary services, then there
isn't really any need - it was the blind primary that got screwed up in
the snafu this week, the secondaries (and in fact the visible primaries)
were working just fine. For added redundancy though, I'm configuring up
a couple more secondaries later this week.

If you're thinking of using them as a primary, then that is highly
unlikely to work I suspect. Our main zone file is dynamically generated
from the database on borg and a couple of other sources on a daily basis
- it's not something that we can just edit in a web interface
periodically. There's also the mirrors.postgresql.org subdomain which is
handled by a different primary and is dynamically updated every 15
minutes or so. Even if we left that as-is, do UltraDNS provide a method
to delegate the subdomain to a different server?

Regards, Dave.