Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Francisco Leovey" <fleovey(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE
Date: 2006-01-20 13:03:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: Francisco Leovey [mailto:fleovey(at)yahoo(dot)com]
Sent: 20 January 2006 12:14
To: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Pgadmin III not honoring
DATESTYLE

Hello Dave

I understand your answer, bu if you check in PgAdmin II this
works fine, so it is an unexpected change. I beleive PgAdmin III should
inquire from the server the setting of DATESTYLE and use it, just as
before.
Thanks and best regards

Hi Francisco,

pgAdmin II is a totally different codebase, which we learned a lot from.
One of those things was that having differing datestyles can lead to
confusion and accidental data corruption (if you've ever had to try to
fix the dates in a multi-million row table you'll know where I'm coming
from). As I said in an earlier email, if someone want's to write a patch
that makes honouring DATESTYLE a non-default option, then we'll
certainly consider including it, however this is not something I intend
to work on.

Regards, Dave.