Re: pl/perl autonomous transactions question

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Bob <luckyratfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/perl autonomous transactions question
Date: 2006-09-27 05:32:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sep 25, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Bob wrote:
> One issue I see with my current DBI solution is I need to hard
> code or pass in as variables the connection information. I would
> prefer not to have the password lying around in plain site. Keep
> in mind this is a batch process not a something I that is called
> manually where a user is
> going to be entering their username and password in.

You might be able to use ident authentication. There's also
the .pgpass file.

Unfortunately, there's no way right now to handle the authentication
automatically, though that would be nice to have.

BTW, you should take a look at contrib/dblink. It'd probably be more
performant than a perl procedure would be, among other benefits.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net