Information on purchasing a PostgreSQL License

From: "Eid, Bilal" <Bilal_Eid(at)NAI(dot)com>
To: "'sales(at)pgsql(dot)com'" <sales(at)pgsql(dot)com>, "'pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Eid, Bilal" <Bilal_Eid(at)NAI(dot)com>
Subject: Information on purchasing a PostgreSQL License
Date: 1999-05-20 23:03:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

My name is Bilal Eid; I work for Network Associates Inc. in Santa Clara,
California.

I'm working on a security/networking package. This software needs a
database in the background. In the pass we used FairCome Database, we had
some problems and issues. Right now we want to update our software to new
version and change the database to more stable and robust one.

I came across PostgreSQL database, I found it impressive. I'm going to
make, almost, all the decision, and pursued the management to convert to
PostgreSQL. I already did a lot of research and collect enough information
on PostgreSQL through your web site.

There are some key issues and concerns that may change the direction, and I
need your help and cooperation assisting me in this matter. (Just to keep in
mind that we are using Linux).

1. We need to include the database, bundle it, within our software
package, that if the user do not have it, I know it is free to download and
many vender distributing it with their packages for free such as Redhat.
With the assumption, of including it in our software packages or making the
user to use it, we need to purchase a License.

Getting a license has to be unlimited usage and a one-time license
purchases, or
maybe should buy the source code with a license of distribution.

The questions here are:
What is involved to do getting such a license?
What I need to do to complete the process?
How much such a license cost if any?
Whom Should I contact other than this email address?

2. I understand that postODBC, UDBC driver, PgAccess, MPSQL, PSQL,
MPMGR, and other tools are available with the package for free. I just want
to make sure you understand that I need most of these tools to be included
in the deal, if we do one, I hope. I F any of these tools not available for
Linux I need to know what is my alternative?

3. Can I configure PostgreSQL database start with/without (option) my
software at the same time, at installation time, at the time of starting up
the machine, or any other time?

4. Can I have two PostgreSQL installations on the same machine (if the
user have deferent version for example) at the time of installing my
software? What are my options if there is any?

5. What is the security of the database to be breaking into it from the
Internet for example?

6. What is the venerability of PostgreSQL database?

7. What are the support issues involve for my clients and me?

8. Finally, I'd like you to give me or tell me some important things
(at least one or two) about PostgreSQL that will convince me and the
management of my company to stick with PostgreSQL and the only PostgreSQL
database (technical, management, sale, and Marketing points).

Thank you in advance

Network Associates Inc.
Software Engineer
Bilal Eid