Re: mail alert

From: Jan Verheyden <jan(dot)verheyden(at)uz(dot)kuleuven(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: "'Rob Sargent'" <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Denis BUCHER'" <dbucherml(at)hsolutions(dot)ch>
Cc: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mail alert
Date: 2009-08-12 13:27:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I got a bit stuck...
I was looking for a solution for option a)

Maybe I'll first explain the situation a bit more:

I have one database for patient registration
Another one for image storage
And a third one for book keeping
A patient should be registered first before the images are stored, so if there is a new line in the second database with an id which does not exist yet, it has to be notified in the book keeping database.

Now the questions:
1) Can I do this with the inner join (tables subject_id from DB1, pat_id from DB2), there it is two different databases
2) Once it is notified in the book keeping that is not registered yet, is it best to poll on this column to send a warning, or use a trigger??

Thanks!!

Jan