BUG #7550: NULL result when coercing a subquery result into an array

From: tom(at)tomforb(dot)es
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #7550: NULL result when coercing a subquery result into an array
Date: 2012-09-17 19:32:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 7550
Logged by: Tom Forbes
Email address: tom(at)tomforb(dot)es
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.0
Operating system: Windows 8

Hello,
I wasn't sure how to title this report so apologies if it is incorrect or
misleading.

I have two queries:
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/7d1473defa
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/85e1d43b7a

The first query returns NULL and the second one returns an int[] with 623
elements in it. The only difference between the two queries is the last
string - 'J. P. Bickella' returns NULL and 'J. P. Bickell' returns an
int[].

The base query with no values can be found here:
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/1ebe2d7646
And the EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE of the queries can be found here:
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/a4b8b622c5 <-- Returns int[]
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/525fda6340 <-- Returns NULL

In summary: Changing the last (or second to last) element of the second IN
clause causes the query to return an array as expected, whereas setting it
to 'J. P. Bickella' causes it to return NULL.

Executing the query without wrapping it in an array() returns the expected
results.

If needed I can host the database this query is executing on for people to
download upon request, but it is 1.2gb in size.